While many people are happy to hear that their SSI disability claim has been awarded, it can also be frustrating to wait for their social security disability claim to arrive. There are many reasons why their award can take a while to be processed. Examples of reasons why the social security disability claim status can be slow to be mailed include:
- There are lots of different social security claims.
- Every medical condition is different and fitting the medical requirements to the claim can take a while.
- The financial eligibility for a social security claim must be evaluated.
- The back benefit of the claim needs to be processed.
What makes the process longer
While every case is different, the office can usually process a benefit with a few weeks. On the other hand, there are certain factors that can make this process longer. Examples include:
- Some individuals may be identified as disabled for SSI benefits.
- A social security office may contact the individual to review the individual’s assets and incomes again.
- Someone’s eligibility must be reviewed because circumstances might have changed.
Additional issues that can delay your SSI Claim
If someone is difficult to get in contact with, this can delay the process even further. Therefore, it is important to promptly return any and all calls from a social security office. Examples of additional issues that they may need to discuss include:
- Whether or not someone has received any benefits from workers compensation while disabled.
- Has the date of the original disability changed based on the receipt of these benefits?
- Has someone become eligible for Medicare?
- Are there any additional legal fees that must be reviewed?
While it can be frustrating to wait for all of these dominoes to fall, it is important to remain patient and wait for the people at the various levels of social security disability to do their job. At the same time, it is also a good idea to call and make sure that the office isn’t waiting on anything on your end to process the claim. Sometimes, it could be as simple as a missing form that is required to finally mail out the claim. Visit the government SSI site here to learn more about important points and factors involved in wait times.
- Disability Benefits | Social Security Administration
- Benefits Planner: Disability | How You Apply | Social Security
- Benefits for People with Disabilities Social Security